The Revolution Has Begun

I will begin by saying you must watch the following video..



I know a revolution when I see one, and this my friends, is the next big thing. If these are embedded within newer technology (and trust me it will, give or take 2 years) it will make the Plasma Screen-slash-HDTV breakthrough look like nada.

To put into perspective of how groundbreaking this discovery is, ask yourself this: Remember the birth of the mobile phone 10 years ago? Its bigger than that.

You are witnessing the dawn of things like 3D TV, 3D gaming, interactive learning, customizable displays, and the possibilities are endless. For you futurists out there, my bet is, expect to see real time 3D movies in 3 years (tops).

Oh, and I don't think Nintendo ever saw this coming! (but they conveniently nicknamed the the Wii prototype the Revolution)

..it all began with the Wii.

PS: WiimoteWhiteboard software is open source and can be downloaded free from Johnny Lee's blog here. Now all I need is a Wiimote.

7 comments:

  1. Awesome!

    I'm negaraku-ing this. Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's similar to what I've seen in HitLab (go google) except that they use webcam and I guess Wii makes it look a lot simpler =p good one

    ReplyDelete
  3. alonq_exe: Haha, negaraku? Tak paham. Why nak kne negaraku?

    ReplyDelete
  4. fuhuisx: Chuang, ive googled HitLab (haha didnt know it was in UQ). But i think its not the same thing. Although, it does have the same concept.

    Why i say this is because, i know they SEEM to be the same because they have similar functionalities, but in reality they operate totally differently. In fact, you could say they are exact opposites of one another.

    The one by Lee has the infrared camera as the stationary tracker, and the infrared LEDs (light source) as the ones being tracked (point of reference).

    The one by Hitlab has the camera as the one being tracked, relative to the specific shapes on the books (light source) as the point of reference.

    U see, they have similar designs but approached differently. In the first case, the user is the "emitter" while in the second, the user is the "receiver".

    Its hard to explain, but think about it. Take this analogy for example: A speaker and a microphone. In essence, they are technically the same, a bunch of conductive wires coiled around a polarized magnet. But they operate oppositely.

    Basically my point is, Hitlab's invention and Lee's are opposites, but achieve the same thing.

    So, why is Lee's significant? Because wearing a camera on ur head and wearing an LED is significantly different. Imagine how expensive cameras are compared to LEDs. If there were 5 users, would u buy 5 cameras, or 5 LEDs?

    Surprisingly, it took eons for somebody to even realize that u can achieve the same result by switching them around, while maintaining the same concept.

    Lee's discovery makes it more accessible to a lot more people as it requires no sophisticated technology, and inexpensive hardware.

    *Sigh*
    sorry u had to read that..
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, now that u mention it, opposite indeed, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You don't know how useful this thing will be for me in video games. I always move my head when I'm moving my characters, and it gets annoying. Lee has my support! (As little and as cheap it's worth... Lol)

    ~Sharrif~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahaha, ur not alone on that one.
    I move my whole upper torso!

    ReplyDelete