An-Nisa'

Women are very much different in private than they are in public. They may seem petite on the outside, but not so much on the inside. And that's perfectly okay with me. I know, because I grew up with two sisters. I know that when they leave the house, besides putting on a veil that covers their hair, they also put on a mask that covers their true identity. In fact, I've noticed that women have many masks that they put on for the world, and one mask that they have in the home. And that home mask, is the same one they've been wearing since they were a child. That home mask, to me at least, is who a woman really is. I've also come to realise that women are more what they hide then what they show.

My sister sometimes sings in front the mirror with a hairbrush microphone, hijab off, hair done, with full makeup, stereo blazing on high. Pretending to be a superstar, or a princess is so much easier when you don't have to worry about who's watching. When I stumble into her room and see her do the things she does, I am reminded of how Allah has created men and women so differently. And yes sometimes I do get annoyed at her idiosyncrasies that only we siblings know about, but those are the little things that make her mine.

Sometimes on a hot sunny day, I know that my sisters secretly wish they could just flip off their tudungs, and let the wind blow in their hair. Or let the cool breeze whisk on their skin, with the car window down, short sleeves and all. I know how they would love to just jump in the public pool for a dip, or walk on the white sandy beaches and swim in the crystal blue sea without having to worry about covering up. Only I know what they look like when they don't have to. But again, those are the things that make them mine.

Allah has created men and women differently, because I believe that they were meant to complement each other. For my brother and I, being the emotionless, quiet, introspective thinkers as opposed to feelers that we are, I know that without my sisters, our lives would have been very dull, black and white, without colour nor depth. As for my sisters, who wear their hearts on their sleeves, probably having some sombre in their lives would have helped at times as well. I don't really know why I wrote this, just something bouncing around in my head that I needed to let out. Oh and also maybe because I'm already missing home so much. And skyping with my silly sister on her birthday made it a little easier to bear.

4 comments: